first Turtle Festival (Festival Penyu) took place in June
2010. It became much bigger and more successful than we could have
imagined. Everyone take for granted that the Turtle Festival from
now on is a yearly tradition. We have been busy planning for
TURTLE FESTIVAL 2011 and after that TURTLE FESTIVAL 2012.
However, The Regent (Bupati) forced us to postpone it one year
and later we had to postpone due to lack of funding and political
support. We are not happy about that, but we have no choice.
It will be TURTLE FESTIVAL 2013 (FESTIVAL PENYU 2013)
instead. It will also last for a week, but with an even more amazing
program. We learnt a lot of the first Festival and the second will
have more activities, better prizes, more artists, including
foreign, more traditional dancing, more education. It will take
place in June 2013. We probably do a small local event in
June 2012. We are sorry for having postponing twice now.
The TURTLE FESTIVAL 2013 is about local culture, awareness
of environment and the turtle conservation, and of course to have
fun. It is a non-profit event. Money left over will go to social and
Take the opportunity to see and support something very special.
Together we can make this fabulous archipelago the best eco-tourism
destination in Indonesia. The Festival is arranged by the people of
Pulau Banyak and supported by the Aceh Singkil government, the
Governor of Aceh, and Ministries in Jakarta. Even though all are
enthusiastic, we will have a tough job to get enough sponsors.
A BIG EVENT GOES KAMPONG. IT IS UNIQUE, FASCINATING AND BUZY
as long as one week, which will not be forgotten, visitors and
TV-watchers will witness many unique and funny events, together with
famous artists and important national community leaders, such as our
Turtle Ambassadors; Deddy Mizwar. Mr. Deddy Mizwar is the
most prominent Indonesian actor, director and producer.
- Opening ceremony by a prominent national leader.
- Well known artists will perform during the festival week. We
plan for both pop and dangdut and we plan also for an
- Traditional dancing from all the villages in Pulau Banyak
and from neighboring places, like Simeulue and Singkil.
- A Blogspot competition, open for everyone. Visit
- Fishing competitions, booth "Mancing (Fishing) Mania" and
- A turtle opera by children and story telling for children by
a professional story teller.
- Competitions in poetry, speeches about environment,
environmental essays, etc.
- Competitions between schools and villages in cleanliness.
- Competitions in traditional games.
- Swimming, free diving, and other sports events.
- Paddling traditional canoe, kayaking, and other
- Mini exhibition with photos from all over Pulau Banyak and
information from different community groups.
- Many activities available for you; try kayaking, picnic to
neighboring islands, round trips and eating the freshest and
best BBQ fish you can get.
- The program is not yet finalized. This page will be up-dated
with changes and additions.
This event is sponsored by: